Thursday, May 14, 2009

All Star Challenge Preview

Darlington has come and gone. We had another great race(Really? We're up to 3 in a row now?), and now it's time for the All Star event.

This race gets me excited every year. My favorite part actually has to be the Sprint Showdown, the wild card event that the rest of the field competes in for a chance to race in the main event. Last year, the race was won by AJ Allmendinger, who I believe will race his way in again.

The 2nd place driver in the event also transfers into the big race. A year ago, that driver was Sam Hornish Jr. He might do it again, but I believe that 18-year-old Joey Logano will get the other transfer spot.

That leaves the Fan Vote, the part which determines the final driver in the starting field for the All Star race. Last year, Kasey Kahne got the Fan Vote, and won the whole thing! This year, I believe that Bill Elliott will receive the fan vote. Elliott was NASCAR's Most Popular Driver for 15 years, so it seems only fitting that he should receive the Fan Vote.

From there, 21 drivers will duke it out over a 100-lap period. The winner receives a check for $1,000,000 and an automatic berth in the All Star race for the next 10 years.

So, without further ado, my prediction for the winner of the 25th Annual NASCAR All Star race is:

Joey Logano!

Yes, I am aware of the very skinny, frail, toothpick-like limb I am going out on here, especially considering that the guy isn't even in the race yet. But why not? I, like Logano, have nothing to lose. Folks, enjoy the heck out of the race. Have a Happy Saturday!

No comments: