Thursday, April 16, 2009

Subway Fresh 500 Preview

Greetings to all! Hope everybody had a very Happy Easter. It was certainly nice hearing people worship God and Jesus our Savior last weekend instead of the Hendrick boys. I'd say they deserved it, wouldn't you?

If you didn't get to watch the Texas race 2 weeks ago, you missed nothing. The race was unarguably the most boring I've seen all year, and the announcers were their usual selves, drooling over anything with a bow-tie on the bumper. In the end, Jeff Gordon broke a 47-race winless streak, as well as winning at Texas for the first time ever, both of which I was very aware of after the conclusion of the event, thanks to Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, and of course, Darrell Waltrip.

However, I will give kudos to Mr. Waltrip for his Fox pre-race show rant about NASCAR not allowing the drivers to be themselves. I responded with my own article on Playerpress.com. Now, hopefully someone's listening.

Last weekend, the NASCAR Nationwide Series raced at Nashville Superspeedway, which is actually only 1 1/4 miles long. Joey Logano earned the victory in his Gamestop Toyota, and took home the coolest trophy in NASCAR, the Gibson Guitar. I guess that would make him the "Guitar Hero".

Wow, that was bad.

On that note, time for some picks. 2 weeks ago, I correctly predicted 2 top 5 drivers(affectionately called "top-5ers on this site). Thankfully, they just so happened to be the 2 guys who have won the last 4 Phoenix races, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson. Naturally, they're in by default. And all 5 of my picks from Texas finished in the top 15. And as I improve, my comment wall gets quieter and quieter. I miss Ruel.

Here's this week's potential top 5:

5.Greg Biffle
4.Jeff Gordon
3.Kyle Busch
2.Jimmie Johnson
1.Denny Hamlin

Hamlin bumps Johnson out of the way to win it. That's how I see it playing out. Unfortunately, for Yours Truly, I will not be able to catch the race this weekend. I will be spending an extra weekend not worshipping anything with a bow-tie on the bumper, and instead worshipping our higher powers. This week, you the fans will have to fill me, the Hopper, in on what went down in the dessert. Unless my family is kind enough to tape it. In which case, I hope I've been nice enough to them over the course of the past 16 years. My fate depends on them this weekend. That's all folks! Have a Happy Sunday!

No comments: